Hiatal Hernia Foods to Avoid
Foods to Avoid in Hiatal Hernia
A hiatal hernia is a certain kind of hernia that occurs when the stomach pushes up throughout the diaphragm. Minor case of hiatal hernias is not grave and usually goes unnoticed. Large hiatal hernias could cause chest pain and heartburn. Even if a surgery may be needed for severe cases of hiatal hernia, a healthy diet that avoids the foods that can trigger hiatal hernia is very important to prevent the symptoms.
It is very essential to monitor that foods that you eat, especially the ones that can trigger the symptoms that can be very discomfortable. This is due to heartburn and chest pain that it may cause for you not to perform your task or prevents to have a good night sleep.
- Foods that contain lots of fats and fried foods can augment the acid buildup in the stomach causing hiatal hernia and may lead to heartburn, which is according to American Liver Society. Staying away from fried foods that may trigger hiatal hernia is the best thing to keep in mind.
- Fast foods are delicious and mouth-watering foods. Behind that beef and cheese products are very high in saturated fats that can push a lot of acid into food tube. That is why, if you will eat fast foods try to minimize or reduce it.
- Carbonated drinks like cola and coffee can trigger too much stomach acid, which may lead to hiatal hernia. Even if cola are excellent thirst quencher for most individual, it is very important to know that too much consumption of it could not only trigger hiatal hernia but as well as diabetes and other disease. As a general rule, minimize consuming cola as much as possible. It is best to stick to water and orange juices.
- Foods that use onions and garlic for flavoring such as pizza, pasta and chili sauces must be avoided too.
- Eating habits plays an important role for those individuals with hiatal hernia for the reason that proper foods consumed before bedtime or before work that may require the body to lift objects that are heavy. Too much eating could increase the possibility of pushing the acid through the food pipe.
- Another food to be avoided are chocolates. As you know, it releases serotonin, a feel-good hormone that capable of relaxing lower esophagus and may trigger hiatal hernias and heartburn. That is why, it is very essential to limit or avoid foods that contains too much amount of chocolate because it can activate the condition.
- According to diethealthclub.com even if fruits contain lots of essential nutrients, some that contain high amount of acid can be a contributory factor for hiatal hernia. If you have hiatal hernia, it would be best to avoid fruits such as onions, tomatoes, citrus juices, lemon, grapefruit and oranges.