Period Cramps Treatment
Recommended Period Cramps Treatment
Period cramps or medically known as dysmenorrhea is a painful condition suffered by the majority of women out there during their menstrual period. The excessive pain as felt in the belly is really distressing and this can be relieved by applying period cramps treatment. If you repeatedly suffering from period cramps then you can ease the pain with some recommended treatments.
Dysmenorrhea and Period Cramps Treatment
When the monthly menstrual period arrives, some women can feel tremendous pain in their belly as well as in the pelvic region, and this painful condition is commonly referred as period cramps or menstrual cramps. The medical terminology for this medical condition is dysmenorrhea, and this is quite different to another menstrual discomfort called as premenstrual syndrome or PMS (a condition that affects the physical and emotional bearing of a woman in the luteal phase of menstrual cycle), according to medicinenet.com.
Period cramps normally has big effect in the regular performance of a women’s physical activities due to abdominal pain, but usually it last for a short period of time or as the menstrual period diminish. Mild cases of dysmenorrhea only cause light heaviness but severe conditions may bring about excruciating, sharp, and burning sensation that changes the mood of the person. There are also instances that period cramps might also go along with menorrghia (extremely heavy blood loss) and this is an alarming condition that should be treated without delay by a gynecologist.
Moreover, dysmenorrhea is categorized as primary and secondary. Primary dysmenorrhea is a type of period cramps that shows no primary gynecological symptom to cause the pain during the first year of the menstrual periods (known as menarche or the start of menstruation); while secondary dysmenorrhea displays abnormalities that involves the uterus resulting to a disorder such as endometriosis, ovarian cyst, and leiomyoma.
The pain caused by period cramps can be relieved with some home treatments and other recommendations from medical experts.
Recommended Treatment for Period Cramps and other Home Remedies
You can be free from the pain of period cramps when you apply these recommended treatments as provided by healthsearches.org plus some home remedies:
- Nutritional supplements – Take 500 mg of Niacin or Vitamin B3 (twice a day), 400 mg of Vitamin E (once a day), 400 mg of Magnesium Citrate Malate (twice a day), and 100 mg of Vitamin B6 (thrice a day).
- Homeopathic remedies – Some of the natural herbs good for periodic cramps are Belladonna, Chamomilla, Cactus randifolia, Bryonia, Colocynthis, and Medorrhinum are to name a few. Using this treatment should be guided by a healthcare professional for the right dosages.
- Warm bath – The pain will diminish if you take a warm bath which relaxes the tense muscles.
- Drink herbal teas – Raspberry, blackberry, and mint teas are best in relieving tension in the muscles and the bad mood caused by periodic cramps.
- Regular exercises – It is proven that series of regular work outs can alleviate severe conditions of periodic cramps.
There are also some sorts of medication to cure the pain like acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin but make it sure that you only take the recommended dosage as prescribed by the doctor.