Symptoms of Spondylosis and its Cure
Causes of Spondylosis and its Treatment
Are you having Spondylosis? Do you wish to know more on Spondylosis and how to cure it? The main causes of Spondylosis are pressure and compression of the spinal cord in the neck which causes pain.
Causes of Spondylosis:
Osteoarthritis is the main cause of spondylosis. This is a condition which arises out of trauma. However, there is also a hereditary cause of this as it seems to affect many members of the same family.
In fact since its occurrences higher among siblings especially among identical twins, inferences about its hereditary nature can be clearly drawn. If the vertebrae of the neck are involved, it is called cervical spondylosis.Symptoms of Spondylosis:
- Pain which occurs irregularly in the neck and shoulder, which is most commonly observed in clinical cases. This can confuse both doctors and patients as sometimes there are no associated signs of a neurologic kind. In cases where neurologic symptoms are present, diagnostic imaging can be used. When they are not present, however, imaging findings are not usually helpful because the incidence of radiologic abnormalities is quite high in persons in this age group, even in asymptomatic patients.
- The second major symptom is chronic suboccipital headache. This is especially true on cases where there is degeneration of the cervical region.
- Sensation loss or abnormality of the shoulders, arms, or (rarely) legs : this could be one of the alarming signals of the onset of spondylosis.
- Weakness of the arms or (rarely) legs
- Neck stiffness : This starts as a mild form of stiffness and then gradually and perceptibly worsens into a painful condition.
- Loss of balance : This is a condition known as vertigo and though it could be attributed to other reasons as well, it is also one of the symptoms of spondylosis.
- Loss of control of the bladder or bowels: This is another symptom that calls for medical attention to ascertain as to whether it is spondylosis.
Treatment of Spondylosis:
Most patients do not need surgery for curing spondylosis. Non-operative techniques mostly are sufficient. However, in certain chronic and serious cases surgery may be called for by way of corrective and curative action.
In the mildest cases, rest, non mobility and certain simple anti inflammatory medications are used. Sometimes cortisone injections could also be used to correct the situation and give relief to the patient.
In some cases which are more serious, the patient may be advised traction or a cervical collar to give relief. Use of weights and pulleys in the traction helps to alleviate the pain in patients.
For severe cases, hospitalization with complete bed-rest and traction for 1 or 2 weeks may be needed. Narcotic medicine or muscle relaxants may help to reduce pain. Surgical decompression of the spinal cord in the neck may be recommended for severe pain or for significant loss of movement, sensation, or function.
Surgical procedures may involve removal of bone and disk tissue impinging on the nerves of the spinal cord and stabilization of the neck by fusing the cervical vertebrae.
<< Causes of Back Pain During Sex and the Treatment
Last time I suffer spondylotic. I did food therapy and get better. Try this food therapy : Do not take sugar and salt for one week. If you not able to do this, reduce salt and sugar as minimum as you can. After one week you can take your food as usual. I think by doing this your spinal disk will inflate.
I have sponylosis and presently pains all over me especialy under the sole of my leg
Name: Rani Basanth
I have pain in my lower back and can't lift my leg up.
I am getting cramp/ fingers are heavy with less sense, on both the hands and sometimes in legs during my sleeping only. Once I wakeup, immediately there is nothing observations. Can u suggest why this is happening, What is the remedy. Since 45 days in night only this is happening.
My wife has early spondylosis. she looses sleep, gets numbness on hands and feet, backache, chest pain and fever. I will appreciate any advice from any specialist or patient. i am from Kenya, machakos county.