Treatment for Secondary Amenorrhea
Effective Treatment Options for Secondary Amenorrhea
Secondary amenorrhea is the cessation of menstrual period for several months after a regular menstruation. This type of amenorrhea is caused by several factors that vary from one person to another. The treatment for secondary amenorrhea depends on the cause and severity of the condition.
The secondary amenorrhea is the result of missed periods for several months. This condition can be caused by several factors such as obesity, engaging in prolonged and extreme exercises as well as taking hormonal supplements. Likewise, emotional distress and anxiety would also result to amenorrhea. Individual with thyroid dysfunction, brain tumors and premature ovarian failure can also experience cessation of menstruation.
Symptoms of Secondary Amenorrhea
- Missed menstrual period
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Vaginal dryness
- Voice changes
- Changes in breast size
- Increased hair growth
To rule out the condition tests and examinations are conducted such as pelvic exam. Since pregnancy also causes missed periods, pregnancy test is also performed along with other blood tests in checking the hormone levels. Once the condition is clearly diagnosed the physician would recommend treatment appropriate to the cause of the secondary amenorrhea. Once the disorder is treated, normal menstruation returns. This means that if the underlying cause of amenorrhea is hypothyroidism, it should be treated first by taking thyroid supplements.
Simple Steps in Treating Secondary Amenorrhea
- Observe diet plan to reduce weight. Your goal of losing weight would be effective by avoiding less sweets and fatty foods. Eat high protein foods including eggs, lean meat, milk, oysters, fish, shrimp, vegetables and fruits.
- Maintain good state of mind and avoid mental tension as well as adverse stimuli. Perform physical exercises and other activities that can enhance the blood circulation.
- Observe psychological and physical adjustment after recovering from secondary amenorrhea.
On the other hand, you should never take any treatment without consulting to your health provider. Keep in mind that this is not an ordinary condition and examinations should be conducted before taking any treatment. Moreover, the course of treatment of secondary amenorrhea is directed towards different aspects.
- To correct systemic health – This aspect aims to improve the reproductive health of a woman experiencing secondary amenorrhea.
- To treat the cause – The best way to treat amenorrhea is to identify the root cause and treat it immediately. The condition recovers after giving attention to the underlying cause.
Since secondary amenorrhea is caused by several factors you should do some homework by researching online.